Wednesday 3 April 2013

Cosplay Spotlight: Riza Hawkeye (Fullmetal Alchemist)

Costume: This was my first cosplay ever, and I cannot take much credit for it. I essentially decided two weeks before my first convention that I did actually want to cosplay, and cruelly lumped the task of creating this outfit on my two best friends Mearle and Tai before jetting off to France.

We hit the charity shops for the trousers, wanting ¾ length cotton trousers that were loose enough to look like the military ones. I already owned the boots and t-shirt, and we agreed that the jacket would be too complicated and difficult. We also purchased a pair of grey trousers from the charity shop, in order to use the waistband for the cavalry skirt, and bought white cotton for the skirt itself. I then buggered off to eat crepes for a week, leaving it in the hands of my capable friends. They cut the skirt and dyed both the white cotton and trousers together in order to get matching shades of blue. The cavalry skirt was double layered in order to make it stiffer. They then made miles and miles of grey bias tape which was hand sewn (this was before we had a sewing machine to our name) to the edges, and attached the grey waistband.

Make up: Light and neutral.

Hair: Ponytail – as my hair has started to grow again and I had my short bits cut in, this hair style has got more difficult to achieve. Fortunately, Tai and I discovered the wonders of African Butterfly Clips, which are excellent at keeping long heavy hair up and out of the way with no pain (and for the purposes of this cosplay, twisting it up into a shorter ponytail).


Kitacon 2009. Photo taken by NekoFlameAlchemist.


Amecon 2010 (there was a giant FMA photoshoot at the con, but all the photos are too far away)


Amecon 2012 (those archways at Keele are the best place for dramatic cosplay shots!)


Sunnycon 2013 - with Vic Mignogna. Photo taken by Mearle.

No comments:

Post a Comment