Thursday 25 September 2014

Cosplay Spotlight: TARDIS (Doctor Who)

Costume: My fourth cosplay, though it was not really a cosplay initially, just a costume that I was making for the Student Nationals. Our chosen theme was Doctor Who, and I instantly pounced on the idea of being a TARDIS. I thought about making a box initially, but then I realised that would be hell to design and transport (planes being the awkward beasts that they are), and on reflection I thought a dress would be better.

Since I’d never made a dress before in my life, I went simple. The skirt is a circle skirt and I cannot begin to describe just how long it took to sew all that ribbon on. Each ‘side’ of the TARDIS is marked by thick ribbon, and the individual panels are made out of slightly smaller ribbon. The sign is white cotton with black fabric paint. The top bit of the dress and the straps are just more cotton in basic shapes – I went for an empire waist because that meant that a) I did not have to fiddle around with a complicated bodice and most of the outfit could be skirt, and b) it fit the shape of the TARDIS with the skirt being the ‘box’ of the TARDIS and the top being the ‘roof’. The black “Police Box” sign is black ribbon with white fabric paint, tied as a sash.


I usually wear black tights and black flats with this outfit. I discovered while at the Nationals that the bras I had brought with me came up over the top of the dress, necessitating the addition of two safety pins.


Make up: I normally keep my skin fair with little colour, but I try to play up my eyes with dark blues and silver.


Hair: A blue hairband completes the cute factor of this outfit, until I can make myself a fascinator with a light on it (I’m sure it must be doable!)



(Nationals 2011) Group Doctor Who shot! 


(Nationals 2011) Parking!


(Nationals 2011) TARDIS down for maintenance.

No comments:

Post a Comment