Tuesday 2 December 2014

Cosplay Spotlight: Moltres (Pokemon)

Costume: My fifth cosplay and probably the one I am most proud of. Mearle, Tai and I tossed around the idea of going as Pokemon and eventually settled on the three legendary birds. As phoenixes are my thing, I went with Moltres.

This was my first personal foray into dress patterns. Mearle, Tai and I mashed together two dress patterns (one for the basic shape of the dress, and another for the godets) to achieve the desired effect. We debated the merits of colour, since we wanted to capture the birds without outright copying them. Eventually we decided on golden yellow. The fabric is duchess satin, which was purchased from ebay, and it is by far the most beautiful thing I have ever worked with.

The biggest tasks for this dress was the godets. Once all the pattern pieces were cut out, I bought myself lengths of organza in red, orange and yellow, and cut strips of them out. I then chopped at the edge to give them an uneven look, ruffled them, and stitched them to the dress in alternating patterns to create the effect of flames. This took a week of solid sewing, and strained my shoulder something fierce.

After sewing all the pieces together, Mearle assisted in fitting the dress properly to my body shape, and as we were running out of time, offered to do the bias tape herself. Good thing too, as she did it spectacularly.

As the skirt is heavy, and I usually end up dancing in this outfit, there are no tights under the dress. The shoes are flat red slip ons.

Tai and I have tossed around the idea of making wings (either as actual pieces or just arm accessories). Whether something comes of this remains to be seen.

Make up: Make up usually consists of gold eye shadow, and bronze colours everywhere else, except for red on my lips. Once all three of us have our costumes, we intend to do a shoot with some very dramatic make up indeed. In our first year, Tai had fun painting up and down our arms.


Hair: As Moltres has a fiery crest, I usually tie my hair up in a high ponytail and string red and orange ribbons around it. I may make a hair accessory in the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment