Tuesday 9 December 2014

Doing my best not to set the kitchen on fire...

I cannot claim to be talented at everything - quite the opposite. But I was informed a little while ago by the boyfriend that my level of cooking ability left a lot to be desired, and that British food in general was lacking to the pallet of the average American.

I naturally took offence to this - my country may not be France or Japan, but this is not the post-war years, and we do not boil everything any longer. I have never tried kidney or liver before - though I have been told that they are rather tasty when prepared well - and while I do drink tea, 95% of the time, it is herbal. I have my favourite restaurant chains (Nandos and Wagamamas) and I love good pub grub too.

Naturally Craig did not starve while on his visits to the UK - indeed, he discovered a love of Guernsey fudge, and of the toffee éclairs from one of the pastry shops in Winchester - but the offence remained, and I opted to do something about this. So for the last few months, I've been trying my hand at cooking - mostly Japanese food so far, but I may aim to branch out. Either way, I'm cooking, and doing my best to improve. We shall see how much proof I shall be able to churn out in order to prove the boyfriend wrong - that or we shall see how many blog posts it takes before I set the kitchen on fire. One or the other.


Yakitori 


Tonkatsu pork 


Miso baked cod

No comments:

Post a Comment